Many parents just aren’t sure what to look for in their kid's first skateboard. We can help, at SkateXS all we do is build the best possible skateboards for kids. Let’s take a look at the choices and options we have and hopefully we can help you make the best choice for your kids.
Skateboard Sizes for Kids
Most high quality skateboards are designed in sizes for teens and adults. While a smaller skater can certainly stand on and even ride these bigger boards, they have to exagerate their stance and learn an incorrect riding style in order to adapt.
A slightly smaller board will allow a younger skater to actually control and maneuver their board correctly and more easily. They can learn good habits off the bat and not have to unlearn bad habits later on.
The smaller width of a properly sized kids board allows smaller feet to benefit from the contoured shape of the deck. A shorter length allows for proper foot placement and the opportunity for the front foot to correctly engage with the kick of the board for everything from kick turns to ollies to more advanced tricks.
If your child is especially tall for their age or is in between sizes we usually just recommend bumping up to the next size.
Skateboard Quality for Kids
SkateXS exists because we believe that all kids willing to try skateboarding should have a real, high quality skateboard to start with. While there are plenty of crappy $50 boards, we'd like to see new skaters having a safer and more progressive learning experience skateboarding with a skateshop quality board in the correct size for the skater.
- A modern contoured deck made of maple or bamboo to provide the right strength for stability and flexibility for tricks.
- Performance bearings and high quality wheels with appropriate softer wheel options for beginners.
- Lightweight trucks with softer bushings for easier turning.
At SkateXS we offer all our boards in 3 different configurations for younger skaters. All 3 are based on the same high performance bamboo decks.
- Beginner Skateboards - By far our most popular series of skateboards. The beginner utilizes all SkateXS branded components, this allows us to create an incredible board at an extremely accessible price. The beginner features slightly softer (90a Durometer) SkateXS wheels which provide a smoother ride on neighborhood surfaces like streets and driveways, while also performing well at the skatepark. (Consider our Cloud Wheel Upgrade for skaters who will mostly skate on very rough surfaces).
- Advanced Skateboards - Designed for the skater who will be at the skatepark more often than streets and wants to skate the same name brand components the teens and adults use like Thunder Trucks and Bones Wheels. (Consider our Bones Bushings Upgrade for skaters that are looking for an extra boost in maneuverability).
- Pro Skateboards - The pro is a contest ready skateboard designed with Spitfire Wheels, Bones Bushings, Bones Bearings and Thunder Trucks. This is a great board for all levels of skaters but will perform best at a skatepark.
Skateboard Style for Kids
Whether you think of skateboarding as a sport, a hobby, an art form or perhaps even a lifestyle, it is important for the skater to have an affinity to the style of their skateboard. At SkateXS we’ve developed a unique collection of different skateboard graphics to appeal to the different tastes of our skaters. Our selection of grip tape color and wheel color further allow you to customize the feel of that board. We even have the option to put your skater’s name on the top of the board. We’ve found the more a skater resonates with their skateboard, the more often they will grab it and be ready to go out and practice their skating.
Skateboarding Safety Gear for Kids
Obviously kids should always wear a helmet. In most cases, an existing certified bike or scooter helmet should do the trick. Just take a look and make sure you can see how the front, back and sides of the helmet would protect your child in case of a fall. If you decide they need a new helmet, SkateXS recommends the Triple 8 brand of Dual Certified Helmets which are explicitly made for Skateboarding, Bicycling and other roller sports. The new Certified Sweatsaver Helmet from Triple 8 is our current favorite as it is the best combination of safety and comfort we’ve seen to date and features washable Sweatsaver liners.
We also recommend pads for the knees, elbows and wrists. Wristguards in particular are often overlooked and they shouldn’t be. Wristguards probably prevent more serious injury than any other component. Eventually skaters can learn to fall without reaching out with their hands. Until then we definitely encourage a full pad set. We recommend the Triple 8 Saver Series 3 pack as that is a single package that contains the Knee, Elbow and Wrist protection all together.
If you’ve decided to support your children’s interest in skateboarding, consider providing them a high quality correctly sized skateboard in a design and style that will resonate with your child. This gives them the best chance of success. Consider a board with slightly softer wheels like the 90a durometer used on the SkateXS beginner so they can ride smoothly in the neighborhood while also having skatepark performance. The beginner skateboard from SkateXS can even be upgraded over time with components like Spitfire wheels, Thunder trucks, Bones Bearings and Bushings. Proper protective gear and supervision can significantly mitigate most safety concerns.
Consider reaching out directly to SkateXS via email (email@example.com) or phone (760) 814-1713 with any questions!